What Is the Best Way to Clear a Drain?
When water starts to drain slowly, or indeed stops draining at all, it is likely that your drainage system has suffered a clog and will need to be cleared.
There are a number of different ways to achieve this, but it is important to note that one is significantly more effective than all of the others. In this blog, we will discuss how you can effectively deal with blockages within your drainage system.
If you are facing a block or clog within your drainage system, give us a call today on 0808 164 0776.
What Is the Best Way to Clear a Drain?
Although there are a number of DIY methods that might help in certain blocked drain situations, by far and away the most effective method is to use a high-pressure water jet. Not only does it provide the most comprehensive results, but it can address a clog anywhere within the system.
Naturally, very few of us have a high-pressure water jet sitting at home, and even fewer of us have the training to use it. However, arranging for a professional cleaning/unblocking service is likely much more affordable than you would think.
The first thing to note is that the entire process will only take an hour or two from arrival to our technicians leaving. Moreover, we are able to carry out the work from outside of your property, meaning that we will cause minimal disruption within the household.
Another thing to consider is that it costs very little in terms of resources. Because we just use water, there are no expensive chemicals utilised that will need to be paid for in the final bill. Additionally, it does not present any sort of risk to the environment.
There are two options when it comes to utilising these jets within a drainage system;
· We are able to address an individual clog/blockage to get water running again
· We can also clean the entire system in order to wash away any ‘growing’ potential clogs
There is no way to absolutely guarantee that you will never suffer a critical clog within your drainage system. However, cleaning is absolutely the method which offers the most comprehensive protection.
Alternative Methods to Clear a Drain
Before we go on, it is important to note that all of the methods we are about to discuss will generally only have any effect on clogs which are relatively near the surface.
Some of the most common techniques are as follows:
· Drain Unblocker: Drain unblocker/cleaner can break down something blocking a drain, although its corrosive qualities will mean it also has an effect on your pipe system, significantly reducing the lifespan of a pipe.
· Enzyme Cleaner: This is an alternative to standard drain cleaners, although it will only work on organic materials. There is a chance it will have no effect at all on a clog if they are un-organic.
· Plunger: With a bit of elbow grease you can create enough pressure to unclog a block within the pipe. However, again a plunger will only be of any use if the block is relatively close to the surface.
· Boiling Water: When a clog is relatively un-stubborn but cold water is not enough to shift it, pouring down boiling water can make the difference. In fact, pouring a kettle full of boiling water down each drain once a week is excellent practice.
There are countless other methods that people will swear by, and they may well make the difference in specific scenarios. However, you need to keep in mind that clogs which are deep within the system, or particularly stubborn, will require a more thorough professional service.
Get in Touch
At Clark Drainage, we have decades of experience in providing effective, reliable, and affordable drainage solutions in both domestic and commercial environments. We are committed to delivering absolute customer satisfaction through fantastic equipment as well as extensive staff training.
We also appreciate that clogs can happen any time, often outside the hours of 9-5. We provide around-the-clock emergency rapid response service every single day of the year. You can always rely on Clark Drainage whenever a drainage emergency strikes.
To speak to one of our personnel today to make an enquiry, or to book in an emergency service, give us a call now on 0808 164 0776.